social widget

Monday, October 28, 2013

If You're Writing a Memoir Keep the Kleenex Handy

I started writing the sequel to "Don't Be Give Up," several times and slowly, inch by inch, I wrote several chapters. The other day I was writing about a special time in my life when my dad and I went fishing together and saw a movie about Will Rogers. It was a happy time, but when I read it to my husband, Joe, I burst into tears. I surprised both of us. My tears came because two months later my dad died. I was angry because just as I was beginning to know my dad, he was gone. I am determined to finish my book, but I know there will be other times when the tears will come.

3 comments:

  1. Writing generally might be better if authors wrote more from the heart, the way you do, Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I just noticed that all of the posts so far posted on this blog were “Posted by Unknown.” Shirley, do you use a ghost writer? And have you discussed using a ghost writer as a fallback technique for writing a book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m concerned. Reading your blog, Shirley, has got me excited. I’ve lost track of how many comments I’ve posted in my first half-hour reading it.
        What concerns me is the possibility that you might get excited about starting to blog again (ten years later), to the extent that you spend less time (insufficient time) on that book (or those books?) that you still want to write. So, be careful!

    ReplyDelete